Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Cool Weather Baking

Since I have been avoiding the oven all summer since it spews it's nasty heat all through my air conditioned house, I have been looking forward to cooler weather so I can make some yummy food. To help myself become a little more goal oriented I told Shawn I was going to try baking something new once a week, like pumpkin bread and cinnamon scones. He didn't even complain, can you believe it? ; ) Well I became ambitious this week and have tried out 3 new recipes. I had one failure last week which I'll elaborate on later.
First up on the baking list was these 3 ingredient Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins. Cake mix, chocolate chips, and a can of pumpkin, can't get easier than that. They were, and are pretty yummy. The pumpkin doesn't really come through much which is kind of a bummer but I'm not sure I like pumpkin and chocolate together anyways.

Next I was on to something a little more savory. I pinned these cheese wafers to try and finally decided to do it. I pinned them as a goldfish alternative although they're more like a cheese it alternative. While not really healthy, they do not have any preservatives or artificial crud so that's a plus. Since it's mostly cheese they come out with a softer texture but Mae LOVES them and they're not a chocking hazard like a hard cracker. Lord knows my baby chokes enough! I completely recommend these.

Last but not least is Carrot Snack Sticks. "Mae Watt, eating carrots??" you say as you remember Mae's first experience with carrots. Well, yes, my baby loves something that contains carrots. These carrots sticks are super yummy and minorly time consuming. The recipe says to grate the carrot using a microplane. I don't have one so I shredded the carrots in the food processor and then put the blade in to chop them super fine. Worked good for me and I got to use the food processor for both recipes. The long part is just working the dough. I will add an extra 1/2 tbs oil when I make them next. I'm so happy that Mae likes them and hopefully I can find some more healthy homemade snacks.


Best part of all with the last 2 recipes is that I had everything on hand already so I didn't have to go to the store and buy lots of expensive ingredients or expensive packaged snacks for Mae.






 Also, other mommies out there, make broccoli potato cakes! They are one of my only ways to get Mae to eat her veggies. She loves these and I always make a big patch and make 3 or 4 patties for lunch for her every day.

 BabyFruit Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

3 comments:

Sebastian said...

great ideas britt! thanks for the suggestions I will definitly be trying these for Sebastian.....

Another idea a friend here gave me was zuchinni pancakes which my boy LOVES and I am also testing garbanzo patties with veggies. I think they taste pretty nasty, but sebastian eats them so thats good. The nice part about making a big pot of garbanzos is that you can used some to make the patties, some for salads, some for hummus etc etc......

the brocolli potato cakes are genius! I can't get sebastian to eat brocolli yet i'll let you know how it goes.....
Love
T

Anonymous said...

Well done Britt. Mommy of the year!!!!

Candace said...

Love pumpkin anything! i have made so many pumpkin recipes here in the last few weeks!

Something super easy to do with pumpkin is just get a box a yellow cake mix or spice cake mix and put in 1 can of pumpkin. They make amazing muffins - with tons of pumpkin flavor!